Monday, December 3, 2007

Martha, Martha, Martha...

WARNING: LONG STORY AHEAD - The other day I was doing my usual blog reading - one of the blogs I read is Blueprint because I like the magazine. They posted about a special show they were doing for Blueprint subscribers in mid-December and for the hell of it I signed up. Less than a week later I get a e-mail that I was chosen to receive tickets to a taping on December 12th. Leave it to Martha to send you a 3 page e-mail on how to R.S.V.P. etc. AND here's the kicker, this particular show tapes at 10AM and you must be there by 8.30AM. Fine, I will have to get up at 4.30AM in order to get into the city by 8.30AM especially since it's December and matinee day, etc. but I can deal with that - here's what I am not dealing with - I vowed long ago (after a cold night in college sleeping out for REM tickets) to never line up for anything ever again. I just won't do it. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is worth it to me. I am just not one of those people that will sleep out or line up at an ungodly hour for something that I don't absolutely need for survival. People that shop on Black Friday for those blockbuster deals, I can't wrap my mind around why??? Do you or your loved one NEED anything that badly? I can't imagine. Anyway, back to the dilemma. Even though you have ticket they do NOT guarantee you a seat - this makes no sense to me. I understand that people R.S.V.P. and then don't show up but they have a stand-by line for that so why do ticket holders have to stand in line? I don't mind standing in line if I know I am going to get in like at the theater or whatever but for this, I don't think so. I have been in the audience for David Letterman, Live with Regis (and back when it was Kathie Lee) and a few other talk shows and there wasn't any of this "first come, first serve" when you had a ticket. If it wasn't December in NYC and probably cold I would take my chances but this time of the year makes most people cranky (me included) to begin with so I don't feel like taking a day off of work to get up way earlier than I normally would for work and then not get in. Oh and one more thing - I told them when I signed up for the tickets that I was a charter subscriber to Blueprint, which I was/am but in the e-mail it said your GUEST had to be a subscriber! That's like bait and switch! I quickly signed my mother up online for a subscription that she now can cancel since we aren't going! I have consulted MM about this since I know she went a few months ago but since she was with a group they didn't have to do this. Oh well. Things always sound good in theory right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Not worth it.

Corinne said...

Silly to make someone jump through such hoops. And how would they verify that your guest is a Blueprint subscriber?

I'd say thanks, but no thanks. It's too much work.

SLC said...

That is SERIOUSLY F'd up!!

Kate Scerbo Nelson said...

i agree with all

N said...

I've been to 4 tapings of the show when I was still living up North and I want to say my "confirmed" tickets also had some caveat about being first-come-first-serve. There never seemed to be a problem and there was certainly no line to wait on unless you get there long before they open the studio doors to let people in. I would think it is more to make sure people get there on time and don't waltz in at 9:30 and expect to be seated. But then again, what do I know?

a. said...

I actually left a comment on the Blueprint blog and they promptly got back to me but only about the having a Blueprint subscriber as a guest. I have no idea how they go about confirming that but since I just subscribed for my mother and it sounds so screwed up I am not taking any chances hauling in there only to be turned away.

Really ridiculous. I thought it sounded like a fun time but quite frankly I don't like her enough to jump through hoops to see the show!

Fash said...

whoa, i agree with you and i too heart martha. nothing is worth that kind of run-around

Monogram Momma said...

We didn't have to go through any of that so this is crazy to me! You know I love Martha enough to be crazy enough to stand in line if I had too, but I don't blame you for not wanting to!