Thursday, January 10, 2008

Project Runway: Jersey Prom Edition

I nearly fell off the bed when I saw that Project Runway was featuring The Girls of St. John Vianney in Homdel, NJ (I am pretty sure we played them in high school sports) - what a hoot and prom to boot. Let me start out by saying in Christian's defense that he did have the most outspoken teenager and she reminded me of one of those divas on MTV's trainwreck of a show, Sweet Sixteen - the show where everyone is guaranteed to get a luxury automobile of their choice after acting like a brat when planning their six figure birthday parties. Anyway, back to PJ - I wasn't in love with any of the dresses and I was pissed that my least favorite won again. Sweet Pea's dress looked more like a "prom" dress than Victorya's. Most of them did not look like prom dresses, let's break it down by designer:

Victorya - Cute but it didn't say "prom".
Christian - Hot mess. Enough said.
Kevin - I was disappointed that she looked like a hooker - doesn't NJ have enough stereotypes? Kevin should have done better since he was representing Jersey. I did love that they showed some of the designers prom pictures!
Chris - Very nice - it said "prom dress".
Kit - Again, nice but it didn't say "prom" at all.
Jillian - See above.
Ricky - Nice but I agree with the judges, she looked washed out and it was pulling in places.
Sweet Pea - I liked it. It did say "Hollywood Glamour". I think she should have won.
Rami - I didn't like it at ALL. The color, the style - OLD looking for a teenager! Everything he does is starting to look exactly the same and it's getting a little boring.

I think that's everyone. Here are some of the notable photos for your viewing pleasure. After every show you can "Rate the Runway" on Bravo's website.

Victorya's winning dress

Kevin's losing dress

Sweet Pea's dress

Chris's dress

Christian's dress

P.S. Project Runway definitely wins out over lame Cashmere Mafia. Oh and GG last night was so great!

P.P.S. - I read this on WWD.com - they edit out all the good stuff!
Gilles Mendel has a reputation for polished romance and elegance, but what does he know about prom night in New Jersey on Bravo's hit reality series "Project Runway"? Although Betsey Johnson or Jessica McClintock might have been more obvious choices to kvetch about a prom dress challenge alongside judges Nina Garcia, Michael Kors and Heidi Klum, it was the reserved Mendel who was in the hot seat on Wednesday's episode, which found the wannabe designers laboring over special-occasion frocks for nine New Jersey teenagers from St. John Vianney High School. (Before they could make off with their custom duds, the teens had to endure a runway march and heated critique, which felled at least one girl, who fainted due to the combination of intense heat and high heels — a bit of drama that was edited out.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Christian's girl was a total bitch with bad taste. Just because she is 17 doesn't mean he can't call it like it is.

a. said...

I was SO irriated that Nina was ragging on him because he was blaming her. He was telling it like it was - she was opinionated and difficult.

Chic and Charming said...

Victorya actually was the closest to what high schoolers are actually wearing to prom, at least in some parts of the country. When I graduated, corset tops and crinoline underskirts were all the rage...a few months ago I checked out the prom dress of a close family friend, it was short and bright kelly green.

a. said...

What the hell do I know - I am 36 and don't have kids! I guess if I was a teacher or more in touch with what the kids were doing I would know!

SLC said...

I don't watch Project Runway, but the green dress looks the nicest to me.

GG was definitely awesome last night!
Despite my previous comments, I ended up watching Cashmere Mafia again last night mainly because there was nothing else on. Last night's show was better than the first, IMO, but this morning at 5:30am I was pretty irritated with myself that I stayed up until 11:00pm watching it.

KK said...

Chris was definitely my favorite! I can't believe he wasn't in the top. For the love of God, why is Ricky still "in"???