I am one of those people who buys a lipstick or lip gloss to cheer myself up - perfect timing! Click photo to enlarge.
By ELLEN TIEN/Published: November 7, 2008
As the economy crumbles, the Lipstick Index — that frivolous financial barometer that says cosmetics sales rise in direct relation to free-falling finances — has jumped. Sales in the last few months are up 40 percent. Here are 41 of fall’s most popular pick-me-ups, from $1.99 to over $50. What do women want when they aren’t allowed to want too much? Traditional lipsticks in more-sheer neutral shades; the bright reds of days gone by have been replaced by pinky browns and rosy taupes.
Top row, from left to right:
1. Benefit Full-Finish lipstick in Ladies’ Choice, $18 at benefitcosmetics.com.
2. Sisley Hydrating long-lasting lipstick No. L17, $55 at Neiman Marcus stores.
3. Vincent Longo Lipstain SPF lipstick in Americana, $23 at vincentlongo.com.
4. Pur Minerals lipstick in Raspberry Quartz, $15 at Ulta stores.
5. Shiseido Perfecting lipstick in P13, $22.50 at sephora.com.
6. Mark Dew Drenched Moisturlicious lip color in Pretty Posey, $6 at meetmark.com.
7. Jane Iredale PureMoist LipColour in Melisa, $19 at Vert in Los Angeles, (310) 581-6126.
8. Josie Maran lipstick in Rumi Joon, $20 at barneys.com.
9. MAC lipstick in Viva Glam VI, $14 at maccosmetics.com.
10. Clinique Long Last Soft Shine lipstick in Bamboo Pink, $14 at clinique .com.
11. Avon Beyond Color Plumping lip color in Divine Wine, $8 at avon .com.
12. Dior Addict High Shine lipstick in Casual Beige, $25 at Bloomingdale’s stores.
13. Mally Beauty lipstick in Zooey Doll, $15 at henribendel.com.
14. Origins Smileage Plus Organic Liptint in Vintage, $11 at origins.com.
15. Nars lipstick in Dolce Vita, $24 at narscosmetics.com.
16. Sally Hansen Natural Beauty in Plum Shimmer, $9.99 at Duane Reade stores.
17. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Crème Matte lipstick in Red 165M, $23 at shuuemura-usa.com.
18. DuWop Prime Venom nude lip plumping balm and primer, $20 at Sephora.
19. Michael Marcus lipstick in Jenifer, $24 at michaelmarcus.com.
20. N.Y.C. New York Color Ultra Last LipWear in Brandy Sparkle, $1.99 at Wal-Mart stores.
21. Sue Devitt lipstick in Zimbabwe, $20 at Barneys New York.
Bottom row, from left to right:
22. Bobbi Brown lip color in Brown, $22 at bobbibrowncosmetics.com.
23. By Terry Rouge Delectation lipstick in Icy Praline, $41 at Barneys New York stores.
24. Jouer Lip Color in Phoebe, $22 at Henri Bendel in New York, (800) 423-6335.
25. Rimmel Lasting Finish lipstick in Coffee Shimmer, $4.95 at CVS stores.
26. Ramy lipstick in Ramy Red, $17 at ramybeautytherapy.com.
27. Estée Lauder Signature Hudra Lustre lip at bobbibrowncosmetics.com.
28. Chanel Rouge Hydrabase in Enigma $27 at chanel.com.
29. Chanel Rouge Allure in Naïve, $30 at chanel.com.
30. Calvin Klein Delicious Luxury Crème lipstick in Oasis, $18 at sephora.com.
31. Trish McEvoy sheer lipstick in Innocent Sheer, $22 at Saks Fifth Avenue stores.
32. YSL Beauté Rouge Volupté lipstick in Sweet Honey, $29 at Henri Bendel in New York, (800) 423-6335.
33. Smashbox Photo Finish lipstick in Delightful, $22 at Sephora stores.
34. Rilastil Long Lasting Color Fix in Tender Rose, $28 at C. O. Bigelow in New York, (212) 533-2700.
35. Laura Mercier lip color in Pink Champagne, $22 at lauramercier.com.
36. Paul & Joe Lipstick N in No. 17, $20 at thebeautycloset.com.
37. TheBalm Read My Lips lipstick in Letter to the Editor, $16 at C. O. Bigelow in New York (212) 533-2700.
38. Lipstick Queen by Poppy King sheer lip color in Medieval, $20 at Barneys New York stores.
39. Kat Von D Painted Love lipstick in Lolita, $18 at sephora.com.
40. Korres Mango Butter SPF 10 in Nude 33, $18 at sephora.com.
41. BeingTRUE translucent lip color in Protagonist, $22 at truelynatural.com.