Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ritzy Shop Site Leads A Sample Life

I have heard about this "club" and saw this article in the NY Post today - what do you think?

A city-based Web site hosting sample sales by designers like Zac Posen and diamond jeweler Kwiat will officially launch Tuesday with a high-end sale of Hollywould shoes - too bad you can't buy a pair.

"Everyone feels special when they're in an organization that's members only," said Alexandra Wilson, co-founder of Gilt Groupe and former retail operations manager at Bulgari.

Gilt is the Soho House of sample sales. If you're not signed up, you cannot attend. And it takes a friend or a friend of a friend to get you on the list.

Wilson co-founded the site with Alexis Maybeck, who she met in a Portuguese class while they were at Harvard.

Since November, Gilt.com has hosted 12 sales for more than 100,000 members. Membership is free, if you can get invited.

Claire Sulmers, a blogger for fashionbomb.com, who became a member through a Harvard friend, dislikes the elitism.

"It defies the whole point of a sample sale. They exist so people who can't afford Barneys and Saks can buy nice clothes. This whole members-only thing excludes the poor guy or girl who still wants to dress well," she said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have it. If you want to be invited I will invite you. I have not bought anything and everything is always sold out. Then they give you something every time you invite someone. It's kind of lame.

Suburban prep said...

There is another club that I got invited in on called billin dollar babes. It has smple sales like this on clothing.

a. said...

I just realize I am already a member. This is the problem, I sign up for everything and then forget!

Fash said...

ummmm why cant i be a member, when did sample sales become so exclusive??????? boooo

a. said...

I agree it is lame, in fact I just received a e-mail this morning from them announcing some upcoming sales and I have to say, I am unimpressed!